Tech post: Technicolor’s new CineStyle

As those of you that shoot DSLR video with Canon cameras may know, Technicolor (the big name movie post-production facility) released a new Canon picture style to aid in post production toning. You can download their file here, but if you don’t have a LUT plugin it’s hard to make use of it in Premiere.  I have been doing some testing and will update this post with a complete review on the update, but for now I will post the Premiere CS5 preset file that I hacked and hand coded in the exact values within Technicolor’s supplied S-Curve LUT.  Right click “and save target as” this link to download it.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Google Bookmarks
This entry was posted in Information, Media, News, Video and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Tech post: Technicolor’s new CineStyle

1. Dave says:

Thanks. :)

2. Pingback: Technicolor CineStyle available – What it is & Why « HD Cam Team

3. Pingback: hd-slr.com » Blog Archive » Free Stuff

4. PeterCh says:

Ok so i got this file what next becouse i am lost :) Can You explain what to do with this file so ppl like me can easly go thru :) thanks Kind Regards

• Tim Kang says:

Sure thing Peter! In the top right corner of Premiere CS5′s Effects Panel, there’s a little dialog box that you can click. Select ‘Import Preset’. Load the file you downloaded, and you’ll see it appear in the presets folder in the Effects Panel. Drag the imported preset onto the clip in the timeline you want to color correct. Next, copy the now color corrected clip in the timeline, select the rest of the clips you want to correct, right click and Paste Attributes. Everything should have the preset applied now. Hope that helps!

5. Mischa says:

Hey Tim,

Thanks loads, this works fine as opposed to the LUT buddy that crashes Premiere upon applying!

6. John Wise says:

When saving your RGB Curves Preset, the file saves as an XML file. I had to rename the extension to .prfpset. I’m using Premiere Pro CS5.5.

7. Lazarus says:

Thank you! The LUT Buddy doesn’t work; this preset is much better solution for Premiere users.

8. Rob says:

Thanks, this helps! LUT buddy was crashing for me as well.

9. David Liem says:

I actually made the RGB curve myself, and then i imported yours, pretty close! But i want dead on, and yours looks dead on! Thanks so much!

10. Peter Xavo says:

I don’t get it.. why people use the Technicolor’s LUT, when it puts the dynamic range right back when it was with normal picture styles???? The tests have shown that after applying LUT there is even LESS dynamic range than with the Neutral picture style. So if you apply it then there was absolutely no reason to shoot in in Cinestyle picture style.. I guess it will take some time until people understand this.

• Tim Kang says:

hey peter, good point. i don’t like how they clip 5 values at the top and bottom of the range, so I actually use an adjusted LUT, not the literal one I’ve posted here.

However, the LUT does have its advantages. It’s a great starting point in figuring out how to take advantage of the Cinestyle’s flat curve. also, I obviously haven’t posted the results yet, but it does a great job in reducing the noise in the shadow areas to yield smoother, inkier results with more detail vs. camera Neutral. It’s a subtle difference, but it is a noticeable difference.

Personally, I use a 2-stage grading process that works pretty well for me. I’ll write a post about it later.

• jason says:

Hi Tim,
        thanks for this! saved my butt in the video i’m working on. Would it be possible for you to post your 2staged post processing with the use of the LUT soon? i’m very interested. After applying the LUT, i find the video very saturated and yellow. I’ve added a 3way RGB’ white balance to bring down some to the yellow and red.

thanks!

• Tim Kang says:

Thanks Jason – I’ve been extremely busy the past couple of months, but hopefully I’ll get the post up by mid-August. I’m not sure why you’d have a saturated and yellowish color cast due to the LUT – are you sure you recorded the clip using CineStyle? Otherwise, it could be a color temp setting issue while recording.

• jason says:

hi Tim!
            thanks for getting back. I shot it in Auto WB, the pre post Cinestyle looks like how it should be…flat, dull, but after applying the LUT, i find the colours overly saturated and overall images are darker, i find i need to apply brightness to them. really anxious about your post edit 2stage post!

11. DJ says:

Thanks so much for this! I look forward to reading your grading process post!

12. christopher hicken says:

Thats awesome that you did this and shared it. Seriously, thanks so much.

Chris

13. jason says:

Hi Tim,
    wondering when you’ll be able to provide more insight into the video post editing colour techniques? thanks

• Tim Kang says:

Hey Jason,

Sorry for the late reply. I’m currently a student now in an extremely intensive cinematography graduate program so I haven’t had much time since the summer to work on a post. It’ll be easier for me to discuss it briefly here in this comment – I would probably do it a little differently now after having 2 months of advanced classes behind me, but at the time I used a dual stage grading process. I had two different curves filters laid upon the footage – the first one being a luma curve adjustment tool, the second being the supplied Technicolor LUT. I did it this way to give me the power to change the exposure, gamma, and black point of the footage but still retain the contrast curve characteristics of the Technicolor LUT. In other words, apply an instance of the Luma Curve color correction effect, then below that apply the Technicolor curve effect. You can now alter the luma curve as you please.

However, the best way to do all of this is to test and understand the exposure properties from beginning to end so you can light and expose your scene in a way that anticipates the final product.

14. Andrew says:

Thanks big for your operation, couldn’t use correctly.LUT in Premiere cs4. Long searched for the decision, and has found on your site. Excuse for my bad English, I from Russia.

15. Samir says:

I cant thank u enough Tim!!!!! My LUT Buddy crashed like crazy and I was heading the same direction. U saved my life! :) Thanx again!

• Tim Kang says:

Hey Samir, glad to have helped you. I always believe that using the native software without the use of too many plugins will give the best results, save the most time, and therefore save the most money. :-)

16. elruubster says:

thanks for making my life sooooooooo much easier! appreciate your help!

17. Jon Onstot says:

Thanks so much for publishing this curve, Tim. I too went through the LUT Buddy learning curve, so to speak, and found it lacking wrt speed and flexibility in Premiere CS5.5. I do have one question for you, though. I read on another website that the Technicolor LUT also has s-curves for each of the R, G, and B components, but I notice that your RGB curves are linear. Am I misunderstanding the issue? Is the other website wrong?
    Best regards, and good luck in your cinematography class!

• Tim Kang says:

Hey Jon, thanks for posting, that’s a great question! Actually, both are correct. If you look at the Technicolor LUT numbers, there are separate curves for each RGB component. However, they are all exactly the same, so instead of using the separate curves for each RGB component and leaving the master channel linear, I kept them linear and used the Master channel to affect all three color channels simultaneously instead. I felt this approach would give flexibility to do one’s own color tweaking and affects with the RGB curves. I hope this makes sense, let me know if I wasn’t clear. Note: This is NOT the same as adjusting the Luminosity curve because Premiere’s RGB Curves color correction module functions like the curves module in Photoshop – it functions in an RGB color model space, not a video Luma-Chroma color model space.

18. Jon says:

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Yes, your explanation makes perfect sense. I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would use LUT Buddy when a preset such as yours works so much faster and offers more flexibility. Color correction on CS5.5 using your preset really flies. Thanks for providing this preset; you’re a lifesaver!

19. Maicol Ordoñez says:

Dude, I’ve never been so thankful of anything or for anyone in my life. You saved my life Tim Kang. I had two videos on deadline I had to turn in this week. LUT Buddy was making my life MISERABLE and crashing and destroying hours worth of color grading. Everything was at stake. Then I found your site.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

20. Chad Andreo says:

For some reason I can get this to work fine with CS5 but I cannot get it to import into CS5.5.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

21. William Barnaud says:

I every bodies !
    I want to thank you Tim for your very good tip !
    I have try to use LUT Buddy before but doesn’t work with adobe premiere pro on 7 64b and I don’t know why ? But now I have your preset file and I love it !
    Thank again Tim !
    Best regards, William.

22. J Baker says:

I don’t usually comment on site…but I just had to say THANKS. You’re a live saver!!!

23. MC says:

Nice work. Thanks.

24. Derrick Y says:

Awesome ! the Cinestyle LUT never worked after both installs on my PC ,took me a few hours , yours was done in a minute after reading the tutorial !!!!

25. STONEY XL says:

Hi Tim, thx for the preset. Couldn’t get LUT Buddy to stop crashing both my AE and PPro, even though 2 weeks back one of them was working just fine…gives me peace of mind knowing I can come back to this in a pinch in PPro. I was wondering if you happened to make one of these for AE. I’m saving my life with the Neat Video Reduce Noise plugin and would love to handle everything in AE simply for the faster render pipeline. Thx again.

26. Dmitryarn says:

Oh man,HUGE thanks, cinestyle lut + lut buddy dont work in premiere and this is ok. amazing. Thanks !

27. Thanks a whole bunch!! LUT buddy kept on crashing and i didn’t know what was going on but thanks to your hack I’m good to go! My safari browser wanted to turn the file into an XML though but if this happen just remove the XML ending and your good to go so it should be a .prfpset (just incase someone is wondering). Again awesome and thanks

28. Tiago says:

Hi, thanks for this !!! A few days ago i went to Technicolor website and i dind t find the s-curve LUT. I think that now they have the CineStyle Color Assist and so they remove the LUT file from ther website… What do you think?

Thanks more one time for this hack. Keep the good work.
    cheers from portugal

29. Leo says:

YES! I found the same and I cant find the S-curve anywhere! Any solution?